"..in the End, all that really matters isn't the things you did, but what its effects are today, not the knowledge you have learned, but how you applied it, not the words that were said, but how they made you feel, and most of all, not the moment of occurrence, but how its now just a part of our memory.. Everyday, we make memories.. Let's paint lives with happy ones.."
Author: unkown

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Change Is Good.

After many years of looking at the same color of beige on my craft room walls, it was time for a change!
 Off came over 10 years of photos , momentos and reminder notes. Funny...I don't remember what the
notes were supposed to remind me to do?


  It was very hard for me to remove the first piece. I really got choked up!  So, my hubby came in and yanked down one and said "There....now take down all the rest!"  Easy for him to say....he isn't emotionally attached to my wall 'art', so to speak! 

  So, through the tears, I removed the items one by one. Family photos that always made me smile.
All my nieces and nephews were so little back then. Fun family gatherings of the past. Some folks in the photos are no longer part of the family....some new ones have been added. Pictures of my hubby and I when we first met, our first vacation, cards that say 'I Love you'...just because. Pictures of my Mom...we sure miss her alot. xo A funny card that my sister Terry sent to me years ago...still makes me laugh! Our First Anniversary card, my dads dogtags from the navy,  a picture of my hubby and his buddies at one of our parties when they were all still' invinsible'...so they thought, a shelf filled with foreign coins, one of my dogs puppy teeth, old dog licenses, sea shells from the many beaches we visited and dried roses from special occasions. Yes, every item was a memory.  I balled my eyes out for 30 minutes while I removed every last item from the room. I think I even pulled a few heart strings of my husband as I called him in to read old cards and look at old pictures.
I felt like I was moving away or something? But, I am not going anywhere....I just don't like to pack up memories.
I wanted to paint the walls a color that would motivate me. The winter blahs have caused me to do nothing creative this season. It was time for a change!  I picked a shade of  'green apple'. As I was painting, I should of been wearing sunglasses. Lordy, was it bright. I kept thinking, someone should really of stopped me from choosing this color! I kept going and completed the room.




  The following morning, I awoke to a soft apple green shade on the walls. It dried down to something I could actually live with. Thank Goodness. The green really does'nt show up in the picture, but it is bright when the sun shines in!
I need to shop for a new lamp. I put the old torchier lamp out by the road with I sign on it 'Free' and it was soon on it's way to a new home.
Maybe now I will pick up a paint brush. I came across an old Victoria Magazine from the 90's filled with pages torn from magazines through the years that I had every intention of watercoloring someday. Now's the time I guess? Time to pull out all my ancestry paperwork and finish unanswered correspondence to relatives in England and frame some updated photos for the walls.
 A new fresh start for the Spring! ....change is good.

2 comments:

Ms. A said...

AND, to buy some albums for all those memories!

My house is cluttered with memories from long ago days, that I just can't bear to part with.

Terry said...

Gay your craft room is so pretty! Love the color you painted the walls. I hope that you feel really inspired now! Yes, change can be good....difficult but good! :)
You have so much talent buried inside of you and it's just screaming to get out! So pick up those water colors and brushes and get busy girlfriend!
Love you! xo